The popularity of Xamarin can be largely attributed to rapid growth of enterprise apps. With the rapid adoption of enterprise mobility in past few years, business organizations have embraced a rigorous ‘Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)’ principle firstly to empower employees, secondly to boost productivity, thirdly to enhance collaboration and lastly to make customer service better with an ‘anytime-anywhere’ approach intrinsic to mobile. Thanks to BYOD, employees can remain efficient irrespective of their location or availability in workplace.
On the other hand, by facilitating real time monitoring of mobile activities enterprises can apply stricter control on outdoor employees through apps. Latest estimation suggests that enterprise grade mobile applications will increase at least 4 times by the end of this year. There is also credible prediction by IDC that by the end of 2018 there will be a spending of 40% of enterprise IT budgets on mobility.
This increased focus and proliferation of enterprise mobile apps will obviously necessitate quicker development while maintaining development cost at a minimum. This is precisely why cross platform app development will continue to grow and get priority over all other app development approaches. Xamarin as a cross platform mobile app development language for enterprises became popular because of its robust capacity in developing feature rich, high performance apps maintaining quick development cycle. Requiring minimum coding this programming platform can deliver high adaptability to diverse enterprise mobility requirements. Here are the key advantages of Xamarin for enterprise app development.
Lower development cost
Many developers simply prefer Xamarin for developing enterprise mobile apps as it solves problems quicker and involves less development time and cost. Typically using a platform one needs to learn a language, master a set of tools and manage the developer team. When it comes to quicker cross platform development while maintaining lower development as well as maintenance costs, you have to name Xamarin. Moreover, by allowing the developers to make use of their existing knowledge and expertise in C# it adds further ease.
Ability to have quick release cycles,
- Xamarin utilize fewer resources.
- Allows more app features with minimum cost.
- Allows reusing of base codes which translates in to quicker development, scalability across platforms and maintenance.
- Developers versed in Java (Android), C# (Windows), and Objective C and Swift (iOS) can easily adopt to intricacies of Xamarin
Boosting Application Performance through Xamarin Insights
Xamarin has robust capability to manage crashes across devices. Xamarin Insights which has been announced on 17th November, 2015 is loaded with an array of advanced grade app monitoring features to ensure glitch free performance and reduce crashes over time. By facilitating free crash reporting for all customers on Xamarin it can help improving app performance and address issues related to speed.
- Besides automating all crash reporting, Xamarin Insights takes care of all types of crashes, both unmanaged and managed ones.
- Xamarin Insights can analyze screen popularity.
- Xamarin Insights can also make tracking issues easier by discovering patterns in apps and devices.
- It can track app usage by tracking time and event data and corresponding events leading to crash.
Around 70% of codes provided by Xamarin have been reused across diverse mobile platforms including Android, iOS and Windows. Besides that, the cross-platform UI library referred as ‘Xamarin.Forms’ gets frequent upgrades. For instance, Xamarin.Forms 2.0 allows sharing over 90% of code. This reusability of Xamarin codes really works great for native app development.
- A vast majority of cross-platform development solutions need to compromise on user experience just because of quicker and easy development. Happily, it is quite contrary with Xamarin.
- In spite of only coding in C# and sharing the same business logic across all different platforms, Xamarin allows native custom development of front end views of the app.
- Ability to integrate native APIs.
- There are unlimited native binding opportunities for custom front end views and experience.
Ease of app testing
Xamarin Test Cloud allows easy app testing across various iOS and Android devices in the cloud. In latest version of Xamarin known as Xamarin 4, there is another value added service called Xamarin Test Recorder that simplifies mobile UI testing to a great extent.
- With Xamarin Test Cloud app testing become simple and less resource consuming.
- By recording user interactions across Android and iOS apps Xamarin Test Recorder automatically creates test scripts that can further be tested on Test Cloud.
Support and low learning curve
Most interesting thing about Xamarin is that, developers mostly do not need to learn a language to master this platform. Most developers already know C# and that is the alma mater of Xamarin. Secondly, with the extensive support provided you do not need to fear the glitches in putting your coding knowledge to this platform. There is pretty impressive reserve of resources available from both the robust Xamarin community and also from Microsoft. Most important of all, Xamarin API is really well documented and gets frequent updates to keep pace with the iterative changes that take place in the platform.
- Some of the key resources from Xamarin community include Nuget Packages, GitHub and MVVMCross.
- Some of the most useful Xamarin tools include Xamarin Studio (iOS Designer, Android Designer, Apple Watch Designer), Xamarin Components, Xamarin Forms, Xamarin Test Cloud and Xamarin Insights
As per Gartner prediction, by 2017, the number of mobile app download will reach a whopping figure of 268 billion times. The same report from Gartner also maintains that personal data of mobile users will be streaming to more than 100 different apps and services each day. Naturally, in the time to come, app performance, speed, glitch-free user experience and quicker development will gain more focus than ever across the enterprises.
In this rapidly transforming and increasingly demanding mobile app scene using platforms and tools that deliver performance, rapid development and maintain low cost will be more preferred for enterprise mobile solutions. Xamarin perfectly fitted into this requirement up until now.